Saturday, August 3, 2013

New Commission


A couple of months ago I got a very irresistible offer that made it hard to refuse. I've been commissioned to reproduce, chart and petit point an antique rug that is depicted on the painting "The Chess Players" by Cornelis de Man, c 1670.


Cornelis de Man (1621-1706) was a Dutch Golden Age painter. In 1670, he painted “The Chess Players.” It is a painting of a man and a woman playing chess. The painting hangs in the Museum of Fine Arts (Szepmuveszeti Muzeum) in Budapest, Hungary. The story of the rug is unknown and this is what makes this project fun and challenge! Research, research, research!

I will tell more about this project later. For now I would like to show you the progress of stitching this rug that has been started last week. So far about 1,600 tiny stitches have been made, 45,000 to go. I chose 40 count silk gauze and Gloriana silk.


Cute smile of Mickey Mouse keep me positive!

have a great weekend!

Natalia




12 comments:

elizabeth s said...

Hello Natalia! I am so totally impressed by what you are undertaking, If I understand you correctly, you are using that draped fabric that is on the table and making an entire rug from it!? HOW??? As well you are going to make a chart of the colors that you used and a pattern for others to follow? HOW? Do you have the work scanned and the computer deciphers it, like a paint match in the hardware store or is this something that you have to do manually? However it is done, I am still in AWE of your enormous skills. Brava!

elizabeth

Xandra Dekker said...

Wat een uitdaging. Het is een prachtig wandkleed. Ik hoop dat het je gaat lukken om dit om te zetten naar een miniatuur wandkleed. Succes met het maken.

Groeten Xandra

maribel said...

Estoy deseando ver más avances.

Sans! said...

I have absolutely no doubt your work will befit this great painting. Natalia, this will be right up your alley :)

BiWuBär said...

Wow, what a project! I would need a minimum of let's say three lifetimes to fulfil such a task... (LOL). But your customer came to the right adress, the unbelievable, incredible Mrs. Turbo-needle. You're going to create a masterpiece in miniature... but I still can't believe that this is a rug?! The kind you hang on walls I suppose?!

Hugs
Birgit

Tessa Liduina said...

This project is a real challenge you dive into. But you are so patient and skilled, I think you will manage and the result will be very precious and beautiful. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Amazing! I am sure it will be a masterpiece like all of your work hon!

Anonymous said...

What a fun and interesting project! I hope you'll be able to share some of your research findings, and the process you use to create the design. And progress pictures once you begin to stitch!

stil-blicke.blogspaot.com said...

Das wird wahrscheinlich wieder eine wundervolle Arbeit von Dir.

Meine Hochachtung... das ist nicht mein Ding.

Sommergrüße von mir

PuNo / Monika

Natalia's Fine Needlework said...

Elizabeth, thank you. I will make a special post answering all your questions. They made me happy!

Natalia's Fine Needlework said...

Nancy, I will share my research by all means. Thank you, Natalia

Natalia's Fine Needlework said...

Thank you, everyone for your nice and kind comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...